Swimmers, please ensure that your Boat Captain has completed the online Boat Safety Checklist / Skipper and Crew Declaration Form: CLICK HERE
NOTE: BOAT CAPTAINS BRIEFING
There will be a boat captains (skippers) safety briefing held in the week leading up to the swim. Full details will be emailed out to all registered boat captains approx 1 week before.
Skippers have two main roles:
- The swimmer sets the speed and the skipper sets the course (direction) for the swimmer; and
- The skipper is responsible for the safety of the swimmer(s) and support crew.
The Boat Captains briefing will cover the following areas:
- Checking that boat safety checklist and declaration has been completed. http://galwaybayswim.com/forms/
- Safety information for boat captains and crew
- Launching your boat on Friday evening before the swim
- Wave times and Muster point for your swimmer on Saturday morning – swim day. (Note: If not available on the night, it will be emailed out to all boat captains).
- Chart of the course will be provided to all Boat Captains
- No Boat Zones at start and finish
- Swim gates (buoys) and cut-off times for swimmers to reach these points.
- Advice on guiding your swimmer across the bay
Due to the large number of boats on the swim, all boats need to be launched the evening before and be in the water in the Galway docks beside the RNLI station. A section will be cleared by the Harbour Master for the boats. Boat slips in the area are available in Galway docks, Claddagh, Renville (Galway Bay Sailing Club), Barna pier and Spiddal.